Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing LSD in BW diff

Nrookie question; never done anything inside a diff. Have a 3.45 VL BW78 putting an aftermarket torsen LSD in.

Using the same gears but new centre can it come apart without removing the pinion & can I just bang it back together, or do I have to remove pinion and redo preload etc?

Literally have no idea apart from pointing a rattlegun at it, never gone past straight-swapping a complete centre unit out of a hilux.
    Originally posted by 350stato
    100% agree with Shifty

BW is dead easy. Pinion can stay in, just swap your existing ring gear on, make sure you keep the orientation of the side shims as they were, and you should be golden.

only tricky part is that some aftermarket centres require the pinion to be machined shorter to clear the larger centre section. usually 3.45s are OK without it, but if it doesn't want to fit, this may well be why
    Originally posted by Mr Jones
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Pinion machined shorter - grinder in situ?
      100% agree with Shifty

Comment

i'd reckon you maybe could do, getting the grinder in there would probably be the hardest part there
        Originally posted by Mr Jones
        Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

I did a Torsen into a Dana M86 with zero diff experience. 4 years later itís still going with no noises.
          Pinion didnít have to come out. I was reasonably careful getting the preload and pattern right.
          Whatís the worst that can happen?

Comment

Sometimes the centre is hard to get out and back in due to the side shins on the CW bearings. You may need to spread the housing by putting some longer bolts into the two bolts either side where the cover bolts to, then getting a scissor jack and apply a small force, maybe even warm the housing with heat gun.
            2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
            2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
            I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Yeah last time I removed a centre it was a bitch to get out, I figured it was oil/suction or something. Never actually reassembled one so that will be a first.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
              100% agree with Shifty

Comment

*side shims.

But yea. If you look in any Falcon manual in the diff rebuild section thereís notes on carrier housing spreader tools.
                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Working...
                X