X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build Trimatic or go Powerglide??

Trans Peoples...

I have a Trimatic behind a warm LS1 (350rwhp), that has to date held together OK in a 950kg Gemini. It was "built" at one stage I'm told but I have no other details to go on. It's done 2 x PowerCruises and copped a fair beating but been kept cool.

My question is this. I wanna spray the motor this year with a 100hp shot and get it down the quarter but my gut tells me that it could be all over for the trans. This leaves me with a few thoughts.

Do I:

1. Rebuild the Trimatic and prepare it for the extra power etc.

Pros: Easiest choice given its in and working so no tailshaft, mounts, extra issues etc. Cheapest option also (maybe)

Cons: I'm using a 5/8 spacer/adaptor to mate the box to the LS which isn't great and the converter is spaced off the flex plate to get the depth right etc. Am I wasting my time trying to build it to hold 550rwhp and nitrous launches on slicks?

2. Put a Powerglide in it. I dont have the room for a T400 in the tunnel and 2 gears will work fine with the 4400rpm converter

Pros: Can be built to handle whatever I decide to throw at it down the track. Gets rid of the spacer/adaptor. Can use the existing converter (maybe depends on spacing etc?) More room in the tight runnel.

Cons: Cost obviously. Not exactly cheap to start again. Built box, potentially new converter, new mounts (easy enough to fab up), new tailshaft, new shifter linkage (again easy to adapt).

Basically I'm second guessing if building the Trimatic and keeping the adaptor is wise

The converter will need adjusting if you swap from 3 speed to 2 speed.

I would do the glide if space is the issue, the trimatic will cost plenty to make more than one pass and that money is better spent on a T350 anyway.

Comment

Why no 350? It would of just bolted up and is similar size. How did the traumatic end up there in the first place?

Edit: asking out of curiosity, not to be a cunt
      Originally posted by E-Z
      If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

Glide.

Cause you're gonna turbo it later anyway.

Comment

No gas & no traction the trimatic will live...slicks/traction will eventually kill.

Having seen & used one of those adaptor kits get new convertor & built th350 or boring p/glide if blower or turbo is an eventuality.

That being said loved the 4500rom stalled trimatic in a 355 commodore with similar power,never hooked up so guess that's why auto lived.
          an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Do it properly do it once, get a powerglide. I'm not sure a Trimatic is actually that much cheaper to build than a powerglide, iirc the quote I got to rebuild the trimatic in nopics' VK wasn't much less than the quote to rebuild the 4L60E in my VS.

Comment

My old man killed a 'built' traumatic in his HQ tonner behind a stock 308. Was just a work ute. The firmer shifts didn't agree with the input shaft, which snapped off clean. A trading post turbo 400 fixed that.
              I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post
                ...money is better spent on a T350 anyway.
                Space is VERY tight mate so a glide is best for that.

Originally posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
                Why no 350? How did the traumatic end up there in the first place?
                Was simple case of a mate had a 308/trimatic in his SS Torana. pulled it and went LS so I grabbed the trimatic with a no $$$ trade for parts.

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
                Glide Cause you're gonna turbo it later anyway.
                Wish I could but I grabbed a set of 243 heads for it and when I CC'd them the compression has worked out at about 11.5:1

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                No gas & no traction the trimatic will live...slicks/traction will eventually kill..
                This is my main concern...up until now it's been spinning tyres at PowerCruise but I want it to hook up and with the NOS I think it'll be all over real quick

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                Do it properly do it once, get a powerglide. I'm not sure a Trimatic is actually that much cheaper to build than a powerglide
                Yeah true, only reason I was thinking of building the trimatic is because I have it. If I was staring out with no box I wouldn't even consider it an option

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
                My old man killed a 'built' traumatic in his HQ tonner behind a stock 308. Was just a work ute. The firmer shifts didn't agree with the input shaft, which snapped off clean. A trading post turbo 400 fixed that.
                Read plenty of those stories too.

So...pretty unanimous to ditch the Traumatic.

Where's a bloke to get a built Glide from these days? Something pre-built from Hughes or the like?

Comment

The only Trimatics I have seen last have been built by decent shops. I had one built by Al's Race Glides and had no issues with 500 at the flywheel. Sold the engine to my brother who junks his "built trimatics" every powercruise with no other driving time on them, wears chasers, no statics. Flushed or new trans cooler and flushed convertor. Only a few people know all their weak spots, and if you miss one you might have well missed the rest.

Comment

Shiftright over here can build a tough auto for decent price.

Fair few others all depends on state buying it from.
                    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                      Shiftright over here can build a tough auto for decent price.

Fair few others all depends on state buying it from.
                      Its just the matter of getting a core and then getting it built...or just buying outright like this...?

http://vpw.com.au/Category/Index/46575

Comment

All depends. Sub 850-900hp the off the shelf boxes are good buys. But getting a box built by a mate is also viable because labour adds up quick.

Traumatic will be hand built and $2500-3000
                        Originally posted by 50RTD
                        Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Working...
                        X