Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat fuel drain solutions?

Planning on running flex fuel on the MX5 which inevitably means having to drain tanks somewhat regularly for maximum ethanol when swapping fuels.

I know lots of people just disconnect a fitting, add a drain hose and run the pump flat out, which is always an option on my setup.

But the MX5 also has a M10 fuel tank drain plug which I found out has been cross threaded at some point in time. So I’ll need to be replacing it with something.

Planning on replacing it with an M10 to AN6 fitting at the very least, but having the AN fitting on its own doesn’t make fuel drain dramatically easier.

Anyone used or know of a convenient ball valve setup for draining fuel?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

get one with a PFTE seat
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Yeah, PTFE valves are easy. More wondering whether anyone does something like this with an integrated valve and locking mechanism within a single body with barb exit:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...r_05-02688.php

Saves on extra fittings to fail, and also on getting your arm covered in fuel.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

https://www.ezoil.com.au/products.html

this looks simple. PTFE seat and viton seals. use a threaded plug as a safety backup.

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
          https://www.ezoil.com.au/products.html

this looks simple. PTFE seat and viton seals. use a threaded plug as a safety backup.

That does look quite nice. The other place i was looking at with similar valves didnt do them in M10. Doesnt actually have a sealing plug as backup though, that is just a dust cap with no seal.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget

Comment

I fitted a ball valve with plug to my tank (all AN6) I take out the plug and fit a piece of tube between the valve and recipient fuel can and open the valve. Then tip the lot into the daily driver lol.

If ground clearance is an issue pointing straight down perhaps a banjo fitting in the tank, short piece of tube between it and the valve, the valve can then be mounted somewhere out of the way.

Comment

What sort of AN6 ball valve? Most of the ones I can see are M-M and super chunky.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget

Comment

Also this was the other oil drain valve i was looking at: http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/...alve/index.php

Seems quite nifty, but doesnt look like it comes in M10
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                  What sort of AN6 ball valve? Most of the ones I can see are M-M and super chunky.
                  Got it from speedflow though any decent industrial supplier should be able to offer something, It couldnt be any more than 25mm thick through the body (they are machined from hex stock), obviously valve handle sits higher (or lower, as mine is set up with handle down) I might have a pic on here somewhere but it was F-F thread and I added fittings to it, coupler at one end and AN6 male at the other to suit a tube nut, the plug is just AN6 blank with an O ring to seal it.

EDIT: Just had a peek at their catalogue, I can't see the type I have though mine is a few years old now.

EDIT2: mine is basically like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KMBV.../dp/B006U4E7CW

Comment

Ah yeah. I have several of those in stainless already from the brewery.

The EzOil ones are a bit nicer though.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

The ezoil ones are identical to fumoto valves, but stainless instead of brass. I had one hanging off a subaru for 200,000km without it ever leaking oil, I'll probably put it on the new motor... but still feel uneasy using it for fuel :-/

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                        The ezoil ones are identical to fumoto valves, but stainless instead of brass. I had one hanging off a subaru for 200,000km without it ever leaking oil, I'll probably put it on the new motor... but still feel uneasy using it for fuel :-/
                        Except Fumoto dont do an M10 one from what i can see, but yes basically identical. They arent actually full stainless either. Rather they are nickel plated brass with a stainless lever and ball.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                        X