Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xtreme Carbon Clutch for street duties. Yeah nah, or nah yeah?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xtreme Carbon Clutch for street duties. Yeah nah, or nah yeah?

So I have a JZZ30 factory manual 1J with about 400rwhp for about 4+years with an NPC HD organic in it which is already over the rated power, but has been holding..

Car is currently getting some added 2J and I am looking to upgrade the clutch while the engine is out as i'm sure it won't love the torque increase.

Before the NPC HD orgainic went in, it had an NPC sprung ceramic and I hated it, shuddered like crazy, so a week later it was replaced with the organic.

Now, burns_is_weird is also pretty_smart and has an ATS twin plate carbon in his GTR and loves it, as do most internet people.

I searched around and found that Xtreme make a carbon twin plate to suit the r154 and the price is OK (more than most soarers!!) and much better than getting something from Japan or the USofA with the GST/dolla/postage.

The issue is, I emailed the supplier and they can not recommend it and said that it is track use only, and wears out quickly ?WTF? this is pretty much exact opposite of what I have read. (most sites say 3 x longer than ceramic and great for street)

Does anyone have any experience with the Xtreme carbon twin plates at all? They seem to be a 4 puck design unlike the ATS one burns has which is a full disk on a hub.

(P.S> I am aware of the big break in period and "warm up" needed for them)

Whats wrong with a regular cushioned twin plate?
    I looked into the carbon jobbies, half the people loved them and half the people regretted it - You wouldnt buy a turbo if half the people who bought it said its rubbish and you cant return a clutch.

Comment

the problem is people are retarded. and a)dont understand how anything works and b)dont RTFM or datasheet for a product

buy an EFR and dont use a speed sensor and break it due to trying to get 800hp out of it with a boost leak = shit turbo
      buy a carbon clutch requiring a delicate and prolonged bedding in procedure and is clearly spelled out in the manufacturers literature as not a drag clutch and thrash it immediately from cold causing the centre plate to overheat and warp = shit clutch.
      run a high boost engine without a fuel pressure sensor on a cold morning and lean it out because a walbro 460 doesnt actually flow 460LPH and melt a piston = shit tune

Oo___oO

Comment

All true but what's the advantage over a regular clutch? The worst thing about them in a turbo street car is that you have to plan when you actually want to make some power. You can't just roll upto a set of lights and motor off into the distance without sitting there for 15 seconds slipping it to get it hot.

If you want the perfect smooth twin plate go buy a HKS LA clutch.

Comment

-very high power handling (twin is 900hp/880Nm, triple is 1500hp/1470Nm)
          -very smooth engagement (no sprung centre needed)
          -light pedal effort, a 900hp metal clutch would be much grabbier and a much stiffer pedal.
          -super light plates (190 grams) reduce syncro wear and gear changes are much faster
          -very slow wearing carbon disks mean overhaul of centre plate and pressure plate costs about $400 bucks. (ATS reckon 300,000km is possible. they are 3.9mm new and are OK down to 2.5mm) the clutch should last forever with maintenance.
          -they recommend once you wear it down so it doesn't clamp fully you just get a 1 or 1.5mm spacer ring ($15) for the pressure plate spring and off you go again.
          -if you decide to make more power than the twin can hold you can swap out the pressure plate, add an intermediate plate and add either a metal or carbon disc to make it a triple plate and up the power handling by 50%

the clutch grabs fine when cold at street power levels, only an issue above probably 650hp or so, and you're just smoking tyres in first,second,third at that power level so the clutch wont get the chance to slip. producing 650hp+ in 4th or 5th gear on the street? i dont do that. thats what QR is for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28693414_10155162399700880_1859882344_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	6619847

The Puck clutch is a different beast and I couldn't recommend it as I have no experience with them. ATS have discontinued using them.

http://www.ppi-ats.com/Carbon_blade_..._clutch_1.html

Oo___oO

Comment

Hey Tai that was me you were talking to re: the Soarer clutch

That Extreme clutch was an expensive bit of kit when i got it but the benefit as i was told was it would hold substantial power without needing huge clamping pressure and sure enough pedal effort was just like factory, so easy to drive but dealt with blown V8 torque no worries (in fact a little too well as the R154 became the weak point.....) Would have absolutely no worries using it on a street/daily car

There was never any mention either by Extreme sales or in teh docs that came with the clutch about needing any particular bedding in procedure other than commonsense dont-slip-the-fuck-out-of-it stuff

Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
            Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
            1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So after much deliberation including inspecting a 2nd hand triple carbon for sale locally, and inquiring about sourcing other model overseas, I went with the HKS LA.

As much as I would like a carbon unit, the lack of awareness (and subsequently damaged 2nd hand units) and price outweighs the benefits for me.

Comment

I was going to suggest the HKS LA,but wasn't aware they're still in production

Comment

Originally posted by taijohnsen View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback guys.

So after much deliberation including inspecting a 2nd hand triple carbon for sale locally, and inquiring about sourcing other model overseas, I went with the HKS LA.

As much as I would like a carbon unit, the lack of awareness (and subsequently damaged 2nd hand units) and price outweighs the benefits for me.

Oo___oO

Comment

To be fair, i DID settle on the HKS LA, but they just got they just got back to be after I sent an email to confirm the price and transferred the money, that it is an additional $1000.......

Soooooo, yeah... Not happy Jan

Comment

Working...
                    X