X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing Conditions

Hi All,

As part of rebuilding my GS (https://performanceforums.com/forums...gs-1220-pallas) I've been rebuilding one of my engines.

I've opened up the bottom end to check the bearings, and I think we're looking pretty good.

What do you guys think? I can get new shells, but its not a cheap exercise.

Ken
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7630.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	7084328

Name:	IMG_7631.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	7084329

Name:	IMG_7632.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	7084325

Attached Files
    Dirty Subaru owner

Clean the oil off to show full bearing. Did you check the clearances with plastiguage?. If all good go for it

Comment

Yeah give it a wipe then take the photo lol
      Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
      my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

yeah, sorry, will do that this afternoon.
        Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

OK, here are the three bearing shells after cleaning. Running my finger across, I can't pick up any differences near the slight discolourations.
          I've got some plastigauge coming, and have a set of micrometers/telescopic gauges, so I should be able to measure the bearing clearance. The only issue is that the manuals and factory service books I have don't give a clearance measurement (just endfloat).
          I figure I'll pick something reasonable after a bit of reading - from what I've seen between 0.05 and 0.075 mm is reasonable.

What do you guys reckon?

Name:	IMG_7071.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	7084499Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9064 2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	7084500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	7084501
          Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

whats a new bearing set cost ?

guess its a balance of wear versus $ - and if you are doing 2000km a year versus daily driver

but question may be academic before you check the clearance first inc crank main ovality

Comment

The issue is availability - I can only get an oversize centre bearing, and normal replacement others; perhaps if I measure the bearings up I can find something that suits from another application, but i think that is a long shot.
              It will be a 2000km a year car, not a daily.

Thanks for the advice.
              Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

white not brand new, they are certainly not fucked.

Comment

If it’s a light duty road car of limited use I’d run them again.
                  Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                  my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Like he said, light duty car, run them again.
                    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pop up the clearance figures when it comes time to put it back together.

Cheers,
                      Ken
                      Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

I'd put those back in and never think of them again.

Comment

100% would reuse

I've put engines back together with copper showing and they were still going 12 months later

Comment

Yes, we tend to forget that bearings are a wear item with upper and lower clearance limits, we tend not to give any thought to reusing them because they are so cheap and the labour cost is so high, it makes sense simply to replace them. But for your own vehicle where there is no labour cost and/or if the bearings are expensive then there is no reason not to.
                            " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Working...
                            X