Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust size. How small is too small?

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Exhaust size. How small is too small?

    So. Exhaust diameter and power.
    How many wheel kW would we expect on a 1.5l turbo with a 1 3/4 internal diameter exhaust before it says you can have no more?
    We have 135kw and I thought it might have been a bit more before it held it back.
    What does the brains trust think
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

    #2
    have you measured back pressure in the exhaust? i'd say you were well and truly due for replacement. 2.5" should do it.
    Originally posted by Skompa
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

    I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

    Comment


      #3
      I'd suspect you are on the right track, I'd also suspect there is more to it than simply the diametre. Hence, the need to actually measure the pressure. If the exhaust is too big you will lose control of the boost via the regular integral wastegate....

      I've actually got a couple of large washers welded into the exhaust of my race car to give enough back pressure at the turbo for the wastegate to control boost....
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

      Comment


        #4
        2.5 inch and found 25kw and a heap more in the midrange. 1 3/4 is too small. Lol
        Originally Posted by Tut
        THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
          I'd suspect you are on the right track, I'd also suspect there is more to it than simply the diametre. Hence, the need to actually measure the pressure. If the exhaust is too big you will lose control of the boost via the regular integral wastegate....

          I've actually got a couple of large washers welded into the exhaust of my race car to give enough back pressure at the turbo for the wastegate to control boost....
          Hey? I’d say you need a much better wastegate. That’s nuts

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by bp18t View Post
            2.5 inch and found 25kw and a heap more in the midrange. 1 3/4 is too small. Lol
            me wise after the fact - but ties in with the charts floating around internet:

            you don't say if your 133 +25kw is rear wheel or engine - but these charts would be engine Hp

            Click image for larger version  Name:	Exhaust-Pipe-Diameters-538x400.png Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	7086588
            Last edited by 9triton; 30-10-19, 12:33 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by bpm View Post

              Hey? I’d say you need a much better wastegate. That’s nuts
              Yes, I'd expect you are right, but given I'm just using 2 X T28 from SR20's on a $300 Mazda KL to make 300 fhp in a 475 kg vehicle,I don't think I'm going to bother.....

              Yes, that's 600hp/tonne...
              " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

              Comment


                #8
                That chart is fucking conservative.. 3.5" exhaust flowing 460hp.. You can do double that.

                Oo___oO

                Comment


                  #9
                  ...so it'd be worthwhile upgrading the 1.25 (or is it 1.5) exhaust on a 3 cyl 0.9L turbo Clio? I was considering getting the muffler removed just to get some sexy 3cyl sound... But a new pipe won't cost much if there is any benefit!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X