Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint for ute chassis?

Would like to repaint my ute chassis to make it look a little better. There is not really much rust, just surface if anything which would come off easy enough. What paint should I use, i'd like to brush/roll it on. Don't really want to use a spray gun. The tray will be staying on.

Thanks

Both POR15 and KBS do a brush on chassis black, Id go either of them for a brush/roller application.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

reconsider not removing the tray. they are piss easy to take off with the help of a couple of mates.

then you can degrease & pressure wash the chassis properly and use a spray gun to apply what ever paint you decide to use. 100x a better job in the end

Comment

Don't really have the time to take off the tray as it is a daily driver, there is still plenty of room for access even with the tray on.

Comment

easily doable over a weekend

Comment

But the cab is still going to be on anyway, so it never is going to be 100 % Really don't want to use a spray gun as over spray will go everywhere. I will be doing this outside.

Is this the stuff to use? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KBS-BLAC...frcectupt=true

Comment

Had a look at it today and yes it is going to be a whole lot easier if the tray is off like you said. Still not sure if I want to spray it on though.

Comment

I've never seen POR15 spray on, only brushed. Others on here have told me they spray it on but I've seen or done that.

Pour a small amount into another container as it uses the humidity in the air to set. Make sure you wear gloves and long sleeve shirt as its a mission to clean off yourself. Kiss your brush good bye after use.

Comment

Yeah, for POR15 or KBR brush on. You can spray it but you need special thinners and lot of it IIRC. Plus like your brush you can pretty much say goodbye to your gun.

I would recommend a reasonable quality brush and don't slap it on. It goes on pretty thick and the brush marks do come out as it cures.

Comment

Ok thanks, even better that it is designed to be brushed on. Is 1 coat all that is needed? Do I need any primer or anything, or just give it a good degrease and pressure wash and it should be right to go? Hoping 1 litre should be enough? Satin black or gloss black? Much difference between POR 15 and KBS or pretty much the same thing?

Comment

As per PXL265 says, thin is good.

One coat is enough of the POR15 (I haven't used KBS but others on here have). No primer, straight onto bare metal thats been cleaned of paint, grease, grime etc. I've seen a litre do the underbody (floorpan) of a VK Commodore.

Your choice on finishes. Just make sure the metal is cleaned well.

Comment

Apparently need to use KBS RustSeal not the Blacktop chassis coater, the RustSeal will protect it from rust but isn't designed to be used in direct sunlight. It should be fine under a chassis.

Comment

I used KBR on Bigmuz's recommendation to paint the underside and engine bay of my S14 prodsports car and por15 to do the floor of my Charger.

For the S14 I did two coats and used about 3 litres to do that.

For the Charger I think it was a couple of litres to do the floor pan and engine bay in one coat.

For a ute chassis one litre should be fine.

Like all painting it's 90% prep and 10% putting the paint on. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                            I've never seen POR15 spray on, only brushed. Others on here have told me they spray it on but I've seen or done that.

Pour a small amount into another container as it uses the humidity in the air to set. Make sure you wear gloves and long sleeve shirt as its a mission to clean off yourself. Kiss your brush good bye after use.
                            You just use a primer gun/tip and thin it a little with turps.
                            Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                            This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Working...
                            X