Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusted converters

Looking for recommendation on rust converters.

got a few patches on a project that I want to stop rust before it goes right through without going the whole way to cut it out.

They are all phosphoric acid based, it greatly helps if you can grind or wheel away the majority of the rust and let it convert the minimal, hard to reach bits.

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post
      They are all phosphoric acid based, it greatly helps if you can grind or wheel away the majority of the rust and let it convert the minimal, hard to reach bits.
      Thanks. Should have mentioned I am also looking at advice on how to use.

Do I need to paint over it?

Ideally red converter would probably be best.

Comment

You really need to mechanically remove as much as you can then typically apply a few coats over 6-12 hours before washing and drying the area thoroughly before applying some sort of sealing primer.

Comment

I have been using this on body panels I am repairing, when I wasn't finished and knew I was wanting to do more work later. It still goes black where it covers an area with surface rust, and it puts a light sealing clear coat over that applied area. I haven't left it out in the weather, but has been fine leaving it on bare metal areas of panels left in the shed for six months. Don't know if there will be any reaction with whatever primer or paint you will use, but I have had no problems.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...011001#start=3

Comment

POR-15 is probably the best. That's a thicker 'brush-on' product.
            iv used the aerosols to good effect aswell, as mentioned above they're all phosphoric based, and I beleive it's the chemical reaction that turns the treated area black, as most spray on clear/milky.
            Then etch prime over once dry (12-24 hours)
            Then prep & paint as usual.

Comment

Ended up getting this one

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-...erter_p1560847

Its thin like water. applies pretty easy and thin. I had a bit of play with it, I think it will need to be careful around the painted surfaces around the rust.

Got some primer in can from super cheap, yet to try it. Then ill just get a pressure pack of paint to finish it off.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post
                Ended up getting this one

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-...erter_p1560847

Its thin like water. applies pretty easy and thin. I had a bit of play with it, I think it will need to be careful around the painted surfaces around the rust.

Got some primer in can from super cheap, yet to try it. Then ill just get a pressure pack of paint to finish it off.
                I use this. Works a treat. Pour a small amount into a plastic cup and brush straight on. Allow a good warm day to dry. It does effect paint when painting over it, normally can be seen with bubbling of the paint so test first.

Comment

Make sure its etch primer with some amount of zinc content.

It'll just rust again or the paint will flake off if its cheapie normal primer.

Comment

Originally posted by MWP View Post

Make sure its etch primer with some amount of zinc content.

It'll just rust again or the paint will flake off if its cheapie normal primer.
                    This is what I got
                    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=7

Comment

I have being doing a bit of rust work and I use phosphoric acid. I find it is extremely good at eating up light to medium rust, even heavy stuff with some work.. I’ve found this stuff from super cheap to be quite potent.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/425362.html

I also use fairly heavy mechanical rust removal, my favourite being a grinder with those screw on steel wire mop cups and a mini air powered belt sander with the 12mm wide belts.

When I remove rust I completely remove it, being heavy abrading, phosphoric acid, rinse and repeat till it’s completely gone. Sometimes it takes a day or two of multiple applications with abrading in between.

I don’t believe in painting over rust, all your doing is encapsulating it, not actually removing it.

I also don’t wash it off, rather let it work and dry off overnight and let it go white then buff it off, I also use an o’ring pick if necessary to lift stubborn bits and also use the mini belt sander but 9 times out of ten an aggressive grinder mop and phosphoric will tear it off.

Also, having two or more grinders is great for this stuff as you’re not constantly changing wheels and getting frustrated.

Once I’m down to bare steel I wax and grease remove the metal and use Upol etch primer (The power can) is good value and is a very good product and Upol copper weld through on lapped joints.

Also, phosphoric acid eats concrete, some paints and will eat off zinc coatings so watch your floors and parts.
                      Last edited by carcrazy; 08-01-20, 12:41 AM.
                      Originally posted by Einstein
                      The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Should do the job.

Comment

Don't think that is really suitable for automotive use though so it may need to come off again before you do your repairs and paint.

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post

Don't think that is really suitable for automotive use though so it may need to come off again before you do your repairs and paint.
                            What do you suggest?

At the moment the car is going to get wrapped. But would be good to do it properly first time.

Comment

I would have thought something like this would be more suitable for automotive. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=3

I'm not a painter though so hopefully someone that is will see this thread.

Though if you are wrapping it maybe it won't matter ?

Will it be out in the rain after you remove the rust and prime it? Because it might need a top coat over it because most primers are porous unless it is a 2 pack epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                              X