X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

304 into VS with Ecotech in it

Hey dudes.
    Gus the snail on here's ecomoo is on it's way out. He's looking at chucking the v6 out and putting a 304 (5L) in it instead.

My 5L knowledge is fairly basic and I haven't really googled much (I dunno if I can be bothered looking through pages of shit and half finished rubbish) so It might be easier to ask on here.

At this stage he's tracked down a 1996 VS Statesman with a 5L in it. Potential donor car? Maybe? The add states that it's had a small engine bay fire which concerns me.

Assuming the thing runs >>> https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/waterford/cars-vans-utes/complete-vehicle/1226656932
    which i'd say it probably doesn't, if he gambled on it and it's all sweet exactly how much work is it to put into a VS?

Things I think he needs.
    - V8 K frame or tuff mounts
    - I know the dash (instrument cluster) needs to be the right V8 one
    - Being VS does he need an independent loom to run it so it's got all the BCM stuff there? I'm a bit sus being a statesman that simply ripping the ecu out and wiring it in will cause some sort of drama where it's searching for some luxury item that the ute doesn't have and sends it into limp mode.
    - V8 radiator
    - May-be bigger fuel pump?

Any advice we can use?
    Anyone got a 304+box+non head fuck wiring loom for sale?

BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Originally posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    Pictures that you can smell...

Things you'll need;

Motor and box with everything that is bolted to them
    K frame and power steering lines too. Can't remember if the gearbag sits in the same place or not, so maybe a gearbox x-member too. No need for tuffmounts with 165Kw
    Exhaust. Not sure if the Statesman IRS exhaust can be adapted to a ute
    Radiator and shroud. Airbox top too
    Statesman instrument cluster requires re-pinning a few plugs under the dash. Ute dash will work, tacho may be off. MarcoVR (Captain Slow ? ) on one of the Comode forums did a good writeup on it.
    Aircon lines all the way to the firewall, which means R&R the brake booster
    Wiring for the engine stays on the engine, including the heavy wires for start and alternator. Plug and play from V6 to V8, just use the appropraite computer and ignition module. The loom unplugs at the computer plus 2 small plugs behind the kick panel, then feed it through the hole in the firewall. More plugs on the driver's side in the engine bay. Has to be VS to VS though
    I think the hardlines for fuel end at a different point in the engine bay. V8s seem to have a pressure damper in line too most of the time. V8 throttle cable is different
    There's a heatshield welded to the floor of a V8 car over the cat, and the bracket under the cruise control module isn't fitted on V6 shells either. Need to drill some holes to mount the ignition module
    Not sure about tailshafts, I think you need the front half of the V8 and back half of V6, but need to check the lengths side by side
    I'll add more if I remember anything.

It's a pretty easy swap if you take everything out the bottom and change it over complete. The problem will likey be finding a 304 with lobes still on the cam and compression still in the cylinders, plus a 4L60E with friction material on the clutches
    Last edited by Faux Forg; 28-01-20, 12:18 PM.
    Originally posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Yeah mad thanks heaps for that. Gus The Snail there you go. You owe him a beer lol
      BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

100% buy a whole car you can test drive first otherwise it's death by 100 parts buying every bit off Gumtree.

Comment

I feel like a hundred dollar moo is a much better option unless the car is really nice and I doubt a really nice car gets a burnt engine bay gumtree shitter as a donor.

Comment

If it runs it's worth the $1500...you'll want it to run to work out what to fix while engine is out in case needs rear main,auto work or melty electrical parts.

Being vs donor majority of parts will swap to vs ecomoo...keep your dash cluster swap v6 rev tacho for v8 otherwise need extra harness loom etc assuming stato dash works 100% (most don't & looks shit in base models anyway)

Keep your rack not variable ratio shit on luxury models.

Most of it straight swap just certain things different for sedan to wagon/utes or other irs models mainly exhaust & rear 1/2 tailshaft.

If vs engine wiring looms & v8 specific parts are fucked you'll be chasing parts on gumtree & bookface.

Did vs 304/4l60e driveline into vp ute....wiring/electrical differences from vp to later vs was a headfuck so always better to get same model donor vehicle.
            an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
              The problem will likey be finding a 304 with lobes still on the cam and compression still in the cylinders
              What's up with these 304's losing lobes, seen a few for sale like that now. Is it just the injected ones with the issues. Is it just a matter of fitting up a new cam?

Comment

I'd love to hear tk explain the details of it, but I think it's a combination of quite an old design, 20+ year old parts, neglect and abuse. Bogan deadshits have given a lot of 304's a very hard time...
                Originally posted by Marlin
                Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Too much idle time at too low rpm will wear them down quick because the lobes are basically splashed lubed from whatever manages to hit it from the rod side clearance plus whatever is lucky enough to hit it on the way down from the rocker covers. Some companies have cheaped out on hardening of aftermarket cams too.

Along with shit oil, poor running in, 11ty thousand miles since a non rebuilt engine is pretty much 20 years old at its best and being a dumb cunt.
                  Last edited by chartreusehj; 29-01-20, 07:51 PM. Reason: Cams and springs are cheap, good oil is cheaper than a surprise rebuild.

Comment

Ok fair enough, I know there is some oil system modifications that get done to these motors, I wonder if that fixes some of the issues.

Would like to build one of these up one day and throw it into an LH, LX or "UC if I get really desperate" Would be a nice cruiser I reckon.

Comment

I tried adding and the post disappeared into the the ether but a proper cam run, good oil with plenty of zddp and a set of "coolface" lifters will work fine.

Comment

Cams on all Aussie engines (6 and 8) wear out badly partly due to splash oiling as mentioned but mostly because they are cast iron with hardened surfaces on the lobes. Once the hardening wears off they get eaten pretty quick.
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Yeah that explains it well, thanks.

Comment

As pretty much all newer motor designs are roller cams the needed to reduce zinc for emissions reasons have kind of forced the manufacturers hand somewhat with tighter emission rulings.

My understanding zinc is not overly healthy on the cats.

Oil with the zinc in it now is not really the cheapest oil either.

Comment

Finally found this thread.. Cheers Jonno.. I have removed 304 from stato, got another harness for $20, dizzy for 40 ( plug on original one was burnt ) only to find it was a 4 pin and i needed a 3 pin, so swapped a guy in vic for a 3 pin one. The 304 has extractors and a rebuilt box with approx 35000km on it ( got a fist full of receipts for motor/box work and suspension upgrade parts). Just pulling motor and box out of my ute atm, im a little concerned at the linkage setup ( my ute is column auto ) as it might be a little close to the back of the 304. I have taken the 8 out from under the car, leaving suspension parts attached and extractors. Rear exhaust i cant use as it was a twin system all the way thru with no x over pipe. I'll do the same with my engine/box.. take out xmember with motor attached, and lift body up over it. I appreciate all the advice and help you guys give, ive asked on FB if anyone has done a column auto v8 swap, but no-one has put their hand up saying yes. Planning on fitting the dash cluster from the stato with the relevant wiring mods ( if i can find someone to do it, otherwise i'll have to sort myself a days free time to do it ). Supposed to have this all done before easter, whilst respraying and reassembling a car in spare time after work, so im pretty busy with it all.
                              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

The Burquas arent better at hungry jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X