Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9" diff centre.

Hello all. I have an old F100 that I will be gradually upgrading over the years. I doubt it will ever be any more than 500hp as I don't have that much of a death wish. The diff failed me today. I pulled it out and all the CW bolts (two were broken) were loose. Tightening them back up did not fix. It looks like the CW should pull up a gap but it is not and I don't want to lean on the bolts anymore. Anyway need to fix and don't mind spending for a "do it once but do it right". Having said that I am not looking at spending $2k for a diff. I guess a 3.89 truetrac 31 spline in a a standard case. Can anyone recommend a place?

Thanks.

I've used Andrew at Supa Trik, pretty much forever. I had a guy from Bayswater do a diff for me once and it came back fucked, I always figure that business with 20 or 30 years on the board can't be too bad at what they do but sometimes they are more expensive.

I have no clue what guys are charging to supply a complete centre these days.
    Last edited by chartreusehj; 03-02-20, 05:38 PM.

Comment

As a guide to cost, I'm doing the numbers at the moment to rebuild mine so here are some rough prices, rounded up include freight

Eaton Tru-Trac $1000
      Ring and pinion to convert to 3:55:1 $500
      Bearings, crush bearing, gaskets and new pinion bolt $300 and other bits and pieces

Then I have to put it together.

So I'm $1800 into a refresh and still will only have 28 spline axles, which I'm told are fine for a mild street car.

FYI - Check the centre of the axles at the wheel hub. If they have a double D shape then they are 28 spline. Other patterns are more splines on the axles.

28 Spline double D shape

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle_28_Spline.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	7110508

Comment

Your not going to get a rebuild with a trutrac and new gears for under $2k

Comment

I've used these guys a couple of times without issues, nice blokes too
          Agmech Transmissions
          38/16 Macquarie Pl, Boronia VIC 3155
          (03) 9729 4447

Comment

We build (VPW) 9" diff centres to spec weekly, all Strange Engineering, Eaton, US Gear, Motive, ARP etc components.

28 Spline 9" is $800 atm

Comment

Andrew Supa Trik engineering. Have used for years and always happy.

Though, your expectations are out of line with your budget, so may need a rethink.

Comment

Thanks all,

Supa Trik has quote $1850. Seems like he knows his onions. Ford 9" on Facebook (in Preston) has quoted $1650 (however not sure genuine truetrac).

Anyway figured I may as well have a go myself after a bit of youtubing. I have the time, patience and the tools.

Anyone have experience with brands of cwp or lsd?

Comment

Originally posted by 1320ft View Post
                  We build (VPW) 9" diff centres to spec weekly, all Strange Engineering, Eaton, US Gear, Motive, ARP etc components.

28 Spline 9" is $800 atm
                  Looking at VPW as have bought quite a few times and find the in-store service excellent.. Cannot find much 31 spline LSD stuff. Your price on the 28 spline posi is a cracker. Is it just me or does your website suck for searching and filtering?

Comment

Think 2 quotes I got last year for 4.11 gears,31 spline eaton tru-trac with aluminium housing started at 3k...forgot quotes to put tru-trac into my f100 centre that has 4.56 gears/full spool.
                    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by LINCOLN View Post
                      Thanks all,

Supa Trik has quote $1850. Seems like he knows his onions. Ford 9" on Facebook (in Preston) has quoted $1650 (however not sure genuine truetrac).

Anyway figured I may as well have a go myself after a bit of youtubing. I have the time, patience and the tools.

Anyone have experience with brands of cwp or lsd?
                      Do yourself a favour and make a solid spacer instead of the crush thing on the pinion. Takes a bunch more time but much better long term.

I'm interested how you go DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post

Do yourself a favour and make a solid spacer instead of the crush thing on the pinion. Takes a bunch more time but much better long term.

I'm interested how you go DIY.
                        Good idea? Use a crush ring to get the required pre-load. Measure the nut to end of pinion shaft to get me in the ballpark of the thickness of the spacer needed. Make the spacer in lathe. Does the spacer need to be ground or do you get in close and then use shims?

Comment

I'm sure you can buy a kit

Comment

Yep, get a kit. Normally a spacer and shims.

Comment

Originally posted by LINCOLN View Post

Looking at VPW as have bought quite a few times and find the in-store service excellent.. Cannot find much 31 spline LSD stuff. Your price on the 28 spline posi is a cracker. Is it just me or does your website suck for searching and filtering?
                              Slowing sorting the new website.

Plenty of 31 spline stuff, we get 20-30 eaton tru tracks at a time, etc.

Ring & ask for noel or adrian, tell em Aaron sent you

Comment

Working...
                              X