Hose removal pliers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose removal pliers?

I've got a few hoses that, after near 20 years, are a bit of a PITA to remove.
    The idle-control motor, for example, is attached using a relatively lightweight aluminium bracket & yanking on the hose bends the bracket.

So I was wondering ... can you get some sort of pliers that you can use to force/wiggle the hose off the barbed fitting the hose is attached to? I've seen a few things on tool sites, but can't tell how they work nor if they're applicable.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Yes, but you don't need them; I rarely use mine.
    use a pick to break the seal and maybe spray in some lube, or just cut them with a razor if you're gonna replace the hose anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
      use a pick to break the seal and maybe spray in some lube, or just cut them with a razor if you're gonna replace the hose anyway.
      Right angle hook pick in particular.

Comment

Proper push lock barbs won’t pull off easy if at all. It’s so easy to buy new fit-for-purpose hose these days that I’d say just cut it off.
        ---
        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Proper push lock barbs won’t pull off easy if at all. It’s so easy to buy new fit-for-purpose hose these days that I’d say just cut it off.
          I agree in a perfect world where Hoses 'R' Us have an outlet at the end of the street ... and it's probably more optimal to replace 15yo hose with new stuff anyway ... but for example it embiggens a job where I just want to undo a few 1"-ish air hoses & clean out an idle-control motor such that it now involves trips out into the world to buy 15cm lengths of hose which (if I could just remove & refit) I already have.

Segue - where do you buy hose? I think everything I've fitted to Big Red Car came at a somewhat high price IMHO from Enzed or Pirtek, the mechanic always laughs & says it looks like forklift plumbing ...
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I buy 2-5m lengths via eBay. Usually there’s someone selling Gates or Dayco lengths by the metre. Has worked better than the local auto stores who carry maybe 2-3 types of hose.

for example I wanted thin wall oil safe hose with a 16mm ID for the reservoir side of my power steering. Only local stuff was huge high pressure, via eBay $20 for 2m of some thin wall easily routeable stuff.

Reminds me I need to get some steering cooler hose.
            ---
            Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

I have these, they work well..
              They push the hose off, rather than pull it off. Pushing the hose kind of enlarges the ID and they come off much easier.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	47900.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	7183839

Comment

I use those pretty much exclusively for Nissan fuel hoses.

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions ... including reminding me about getting at that fucking fuel hose at the tank through the tiny hatch in the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
                    use a pick to break the seal and maybe spray in some lube
                    This, plus push the hose toward the fitting to break the seal. Those pliers pictured have a pretty retarded fail point in the reliefs ahead of the fulcrum, always bent on anything stubborn for me. Could build it up with some weld to improve them.

Comment

Working...
                    X