uninterruptible power supplies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninterruptible power supplies.

Brown/black outs here happen daily.. sometimes hourly.

Ive a UPS on all TV's/stereos/computer gear etc etc as well as my 3D printer.

The one on the 3D printer is more there to keep the machine printing rather than protect it but the UPS I have only keeps it going for a few minutes at most, according the the label the capacity is 1000VA/550W.

Annoyingly 13hrs into a 19 hour print.... the fucking power has gone out and the printer has stopped and that will bin the job.... Resume function is an utter wank on this machine.

Rather than spend coin on a bigger UPS, can I open this fucker up and connect a 100AH 12v car battery to give me a longer run time ?

Ive no idea of the power demand from the Ender 5 but the power supply is 350w.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

You can usually install a larger capacity battery, but do some research first. UPS's, especially the cheaper ones aren't really designed to run for extended periods of time at full load. They tend to run pretty hot and you can have issues. They are normally sized large enough to save work and shutdown, not as a long term storage solution if you are expecting it to run hours. Also have to remember the management/charger unit in it is designed for a much smaller battery, so it's not going to charge your new huge battery very quickly / at all if you let the voltage get down too far.

I think you're probably going to need to buy a bigger UPS before adding a bigger battery to it. If the printer psu is rated at 350w, is anything else needed to be connected to the UPS to run the printer if the power goes out? Other alternative is a generator , auto start function if you want it to do it's thing when you arent home.
    Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

a 100ah lead acid is only going to buy you about an hour at 550w with a 50% discharge.

thats a serious amount of energy. how many hours do you want to have runtime for?

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
        You can usually install a larger capacity battery, but do some research first. UPS's, especially the cheaper ones aren't really designed to run for extended periods of time at full load. They tend to run pretty hot and you can have issues. They are normally sized large enough to save work and shutdown, not as a long term storage solution if you are expecting it to run hours. Also have to remember the management/charger unit in it is designed for a much smaller battery, so it's not going to charge your new huge battery very quickly / at all if you let the voltage get down too far.

I think you're probably going to need to buy a bigger UPS before adding a bigger battery to it. If the printer psu is rated at 350w, is anything else needed to be connected to the UPS to run the printer if the power goes out? Other alternative is a generator , auto start function if you want it to do it's thing when you arent home.
        Only the printer is connected.

Comment

Have a look at the back of the UPS. If it says something like EXTERNAL BATTERY 96VDC/20A or you can see some SB Anderson plugs, then it will be possible to add an external battery pack.
          Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post
            Have a look at the back of the UPS. If it says something like EXTERNAL BATTERY 96VDC/20A or you can see some SB Anderson plugs, then it will be possible to add an external battery pack.
            I don't need to look at it to know it does not have an anderson plug.

My plan was to open it and remove the internal battery, extend the wires and connect to a larger external battery but from reading replies that does not seem feasible.
            Last edited by Gin Kii; 04-05-21, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Sorry I meant PowerPole Anderson Plug.

Comment

Also, the plugs can be behind a little cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post
                  Also, the plugs can be behind a little cover.
                  This is a cheap entry level UPS, it has no plugs for an external battery to be connected.

Comment

Working...
                  X