Lithium car battery? What do I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dimi View Post
    Ok i have an additional question, Weight vs size vs amp hour rating?

Megalife MV24L roughly 6.4L volume, 5.3kg, 36ah rated
    Lithiumax RACE9+ roughly 3.6L volume 4.2kg 65ah

Comparable CA

How does one cram higher capacity into a smaller space at less weight? legit? or is this more marketing numbers
    the Lithiummax are likely lithium-ion cells and the megalife would be lithium phosphate. 200wh/kg vs 120wh/kg energy density.

also, quality of the internal BMS (less losses, less heat) gives you tighter packaging too.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 10-06-21, 01:28 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

A lot of them get packaged in 'standard' lead-acid battery sizes to be drop on replacements. Regular joe blo isn't going to make a new bracket to fit a battery than can be 1/3 the size of the old one.
      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post

the Lithiummax are likely lithium-ion cells and the megalife would be lithium phosphate. 200wh/kg vs 120wh/kg energy density.

also, quality of the internal BMS (less losses, less heat) gives you tighter packaging too.
        Thanks for the response mate,

​​​​​​According to their info pages both companies offer LiFePO4 batteries. Besides the BMS, I'm still not getting my head around how 1kg lighter battery weight offers double the charge capacity.

I might just ring one or the other tomorrow and ask them why their opposition is lighter/heavier etc. I'm sure there is a reason.

Comment

“We have the bestest cells and managers, they use shitter ones that explode and kill small children”
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post

Thanks for the response mate,

​​​​​​According to their info pages both companies offer LiFePO4 batteries. Besides the BMS, I'm still not getting my head around how 1kg lighter battery weight offers double the charge capacity.

I might just ring one or the other tomorrow and ask them why their opposition is lighter/heavier etc. I'm sure there is a reason.
            Call Nathan at MegaLife. Full disclosure he’s a good mate of mine but he does know what he’s talking about and will give you the info you want without the bullshit sales part.

the Ah ratings are not straightforward AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
              “We have the bestest cells and managers, they use shitter ones that explode and kill small children”
              This is industry standard with anything automotive isnt it?

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

Call Nathan at MegaLife. Full disclosure he’s a good mate of mine but he does know what he’s talking about and will give you the info you want without the bullshit sales part.

Thanks mate will do,

The bloke that does all my truck batteries was actually the person that recommended him first but I couldn't really find much about the batteries on 30 second Google search to put my mind at ease before dropping near $1k on a battery.
              ​​​​​​​How does the saying go? No news is good news, but bad news travels twice as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

Should be straight forward, the Ah rating is the coloumbic capacity of the battery. The only thing that defines it for a test is temperature and discharge rate, and that is only because the test will have a cutoff voltage which will be reached at different States of charge depending on those two variables.

It's an easy test. You run it down from full and add up the current as an integral until the BMS cuts out.
                Last edited by burn is weird; 12-06-21, 12:53 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

I would be interested to test a lithimax as that energy density is off the scale for lifepo4 chemistry. A naked 3.2v 60ah Pouch cell is about 1.5kg.

Oo___oO

Comment

Working...
                  X