Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irs packages... Thought bubble

I was gonna try and highjack old mates gravel rally thread with some questions, but figured I should he a big boy and start my own thread.

Get it out of the way early. I'm thinkin of trying to convert my ke70 to irs. I know it's not " worth it" and a well set up live axle will be more than sufficient. But I have my reasons I won't bore you with. Suffice to say despite it being a lot of work for virtually no gain, I might just give it a go.

But onto the technical bits. I was initially thinkin s chassis nissan rear cradle. Easy strong cheap lsd, easy to narrow to 1410.

But options have been mentioned that will package better. Especially the mx5 rear end. I'm fail confident I could have the mx5 rear in the right spot and the right width quite easily. But how easy is it to change the wheel stud pcd? I need (and the wheels are non negotiable) 4x114.3 ? How Strong are the diffs ? I've heard the 1.8 diffs put up a good fight?

Also been mentioned is the possibility of makin an entire cradle and arm package myself. This would be technically very dificult to get right I'm figuring but I would like to learn about the basics of rear suspension regardless.... Does anyone have any hints tips or worldly advice regarding the possibility ?

I was thinking a very basic double a frame swing arms using Nissan stuff (mainly because I know it better than most lol) ... Not trying to reinvent the wheel at all, just want to make something efffective and cool and learn things ..

Any advice or tips or stories and experiences welcome...

Other must have is the capability to have the rear seats installed an fully functioning...

Thanks

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

the MX5 stuff all bolts to the power plant frame not the body so it would be more trouble to try and re-engineer it all to bold to the body and then make mounting points onto the body.

stick with the nissan bits
    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
      the MX5 stuff all bolts to the power plant frame not the body so it would be more trouble to try and re-engineer it all to bold to the body and then make mounting points onto the body.

stick with the nissan bits
      Errr - wot? The power plant frame is a shitty little pressing that joins the nose of the diff to the gearbox tailhousing. The rear cradle still bolts to the shell.

If you've got some spare time, read this:
      http://classicmotorsports.com/forum/.../72311/page01/

and this:
      http://www.locostusa.com/forums/view...p?f=36&t=14452

I'd be inclined to go MX5 cradle over the silvia shit.
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

:knock: i blame day light savings

i suppose i was too focused on how the diff bolts to the PPF

ignore
        www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
          Errr - wot? The power plant frame is a shitty little pressing that joins the nose of the diff to the gearbox tailhousing. The rear cradle still bolts to the shell.

If you've got some spare time, read this:
          http://classicmotorsports.com/forum/.../72311/page01/

and this:
          http://www.locostusa.com/forums/view...p?f=36&t=14452

I'd be inclined to go MX5 cradle over the silvia shit.
          Thanks for the link mate :D

How hard are thing like modded or custom hubs for the pcd? (by hard I men expensive lol )

06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Comment

Have heard of a couple of S13 IRS into RWD Corollas over the years, I haven't got any of the links or photos because it didn't interest me.

One from Japan and one from here from memory.

Track width will probably be the biggest killer but it should be doable.
            Originally posted by lickmyleftone
            I'd do things to her that Tripper hasn't seen.
            As seen on Tinder : "If a Vegan does Crossfit, which one do they mention to you first?"

Comment

Track is really easily reduced through the centre of the housing. Thjs will impact the roll centre stuff a bit. I just don't know how.

I know of 3 aussie installs... 2 good and one a terrible abortion lol.

Lot of bad ones in England.

A few good ones in us.

06/07/2011

Comment

Originally posted by fantapants View Post
                How hard are thing like modded or custom hubs for the pcd? (by hard I men expensive lol )
                4 bolt to 4 bolt should be really easy - redrill the pattern clocked 45* (actual angle may depend on other things). It's also common for steel hubs to have the stud holes welded up and re-drilled.
                There are common paths used to go to 5x114.3 for MX5 hubs in the states too via part swapping for Monster Miatas - ford 8.8 centre from a Tbird is common. NA Beams shouldn't prove a problem for the MX5 centre though.
                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

checking in, cos the KP61's triangulated live axle is shit and i've been toying with the idea of going MX5 rear end on it also
                  1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                  The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Next year when I get back into my 13B Datto 1600 build I'll be getting creative too with IRS. Not only does it need to take 350hp but I need to adjust the pinion angle to 6 degrees to suit the rotor. I'm considering using an FD centre but need to get under one and do some measuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats the bum clearnace and shapes like in the 61 vs a ke70 ?

I guess I need to start looking for the back end of mx5 to start some proper measurments and plans....

Also stuck my head under the car for a very breif moment when the Mrs wasnt looking (in currently needled from my port for treatment tomorrow so she is understandably cautious of me playing in the shed with stuff hanging out of my heart lol ) and there is a little bit of room on the inside of the wheel well to run some very close to equal length top arms like this...

I'm using coilovers at the rear so after a quick look there I not much in the way of doing something like this. Would take a bit of reworking of the lower inside of the wheel well and there might be clearance issues with the handbrake mechanism on disc brakes...

But it would be a simple nice enough setup with a tidy little watts link (chassis mount) with a good all round improvement ... It's much less work and it may still prove not practical...

But still considering :D thanks for all the advice and help guys

06/07/2011

Comment

KP rear end is quite different as it doesnt use parralel 4 links with a panhard rod. it uses a cheaper triangulated 4 link setup like a kingswood etc. my plan was to basically chop the entire rear end out of it and make the whole MX5 rear cradle fit. $$$ but would end up with the least compromises geometry-wise imo.
                        1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                        The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

MX5 rear hubs are 1.8L 323/Laser front hubs - 55mm centrebore wheels and 4x100mm as said just rotate 45degrees and redrill.

If you want 5-stud use MX6/626 front hubs for 5x114.3

The MX5 rear brake setup is basic disc with cable hand brake and common-ish to 323/Laser caliper mounts as well so I think you could get down to 230mm rears if you need to fit inside small wheels.
                          ---
                          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                            $$$
                            Pfft, bottle of gas & a spool of wire for the welder, some cutting discs, some rhs and some sheetmetal - it's only expensive if you pay someone to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                              MX5 rear hubs are 1.8L 323/Laser front hubs - 55mm centrebore wheels and 4x100mm as said just rotate 45degrees and redrill.

If you want 5-stud use MX6/626 front hubs for 5x114.3

The MX5 rear brake setup is basic disc with cable hand brake and common-ish to 323/Laser caliper mounts as well so I think you could get down to 230mm rears if you need to fit inside small wheels.
                              Good info :D

Wheels are genuine watanabe 15 x9.5 and 4x114.3 - a birthday present from Anna so will be built around. :D

Disc sizes are fine up to 300 I've seen. But really a nice balanced setup will be fine for me. I'm not big on handbraake arse dragging lol so don't use it a lot when drifting or driving hard. So balanced setup to match the 280mm front willwood setup is the aim.

Trdee.. the mounting and shape of the mx5 look really compact and easily modifiable to fit so I don't think you would be needing that much cutting to be honest.

06/07/2011

Comment

Working...
                              X