Nankang AR-1 R Spec tyre review

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did one track day on mine and put in 35 hot laps. I thought they were fucked when I was done but after a quick scrub and measure it looks like the outside tyres have gone from 4.8-3.6mm and the inside 4.8-4.5mm tread depth. I guess that's fair providing I can run them until they are bald. Also the tyres are too narrow for the car so it is going to belt them a bit

BEFORE (after scrubbing)

AFTER

Comment

Looks like more neg camber is in order. Mine looked similar but they have seemed to last and keep grippping.

Comment

What pressure did you run those at hot Luke?
        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Ended up at 31 hot. Tried 33 and the stop watch said no good

Comment

Yeah I'd be aiming for 29-30psi
            The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Update: after close to a year of sitting in the garage, took the Nankangs out for a run at WP the other weekend. Only 0.4 off my PR, which could be put down to less than ideal track conditions, the car carrying an extra 35kg, my rusty driving, or some combination of the above. Bottom line, the Nankangs are still working well.

Comment

I'll 2nd that. Ive done around 230 laps with mine now. Set new pb times on the last 2 outings. Still some life left in them too. Last track day we where doing long stints and they handled 10 laps in anger without issue. Pb was set on lap 8. Will be buying another set when these are done.

Comment

230 laps? Damn son! My are not looking great after 2 track days. Maybe I need to behave more

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                    230 laps? Damn son! My are not looking great after 2 track days. Maybe I need to behave more
                    You need the cold Melbourne weather to stop them from melting away. I run a square set up as well, so keep rotating them to maximize their life. Ive got 2 track days planned over the next few weeks, lets see if i can get 300 laps out of them. Car is a R33 GTST. About 1550kg with me and fuel.

They've done around 1000 street km's as well driving to and from events.

Comment

Thatís an awesome effort. How many killer wasps? Also how wide are the tyres? I need bigger rubber- currently 235/255 with 1340kg and 400RWHP.

Regardless Iíll move to Melbourne as per your advice

Comment

312 rwkw (hub dyno). 265/35/18 all round. Melbourne awaits you with all it's glory, i mean rain/shit weather

Comment

We had another track day at Wakefield the other day on the Nankangs. An excellent day, had some fun cars to play with in our group driven by some nice guys, a Skyline visiting from Victoria and a 240 z with a 3.2 litre stroker. Weather was mixed, with a couple of very wet sessions. The Nankangs, combined with the under powered FWD were great in the wet, comfortably held out the Skyline in the monsoonal session.

Unfortunately, I think they are just about at the end of their life:

The amount of camber we are running has chewed the edges, but that's the setup the car likes.

You can see that there's still plenty of tread depth on the outside. Not sure if it's worth swapping them on the rims and having another run. What does the Brains Trust think? And excuse the mess on the wheel, we were swapping brake pads around and Junior thought he could pump up the pedal between the dummy grid and turn 2. Apparently not.

In conclusion, would I buy another set? I would like to try something different like the Hankooks or Yokohamas, but at about half the price, it's very hard for me to go past another set of Nankangs.

Comment

Are these street legal?

Comment

Yup

Comment

They are that loud that they would give you a headache in around 3 mins of driving on the street.

Comment

Working...
                                X