Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Thanks Stevil, we might try lowering our pressures for next time. Have been running 36 hot to date.
    thats way too hot I reckon thou you need to consider spring rates and also rim width when deciding whats going to work, Id be trying 32psi maybe even 30psi in the swift.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevil View Post
      thats way too hot I reckon thou you need to consider spring rates and also rim width when deciding whats going to work, Id be trying 32psi maybe even 30psi in the swift.
      Yeah, will give that a go for sure next outing.

Comment

I found about 31psi hot, and about 32psi hot on the loaded side was about right going by the tyre pyrometer. I was too lazy to add one psi, so just drove it as it was. But the temps showed it needed more air at 30-31psi.
        NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
        NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
        VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

I've had a set of Nankang AR-1 for over a year now on the Soarer. Have posted this comparison elsewhere, but I'll add it here as well. It's in chronological order. No other changes to the car.

Lakeside
          245/40 R18 Nitto NT01 1:01.37
          235/40 R18 Hankook Z221 Soft 0:59.89
          265/35 R18 Nankang AR-1 1:00.27

Mt Cotton Hillclimb
          245/40 R18 Nitto NT01 48.30
          235/40 R18 Hankook Z221 Soft 48.91 - these suck for hillclimbing. Cold grip is rubbish!
          265/35 R18 Nankang AR-1 47.91 - best 1st corner grip I've ever had

I aim for ---psi hot on the 1530kg Soarer.
          I also bought a set for the Levin BZR when I got it this year. No other tyres to compare them to, but I'm very impressed with them on that FWD car too. It weighs 1080kg and I run about ---psi hot.

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
            This is the race start of race 4.
            I uploaded a few more videos from the weekend on Nankang's, so look them up in my videos on YouTube.
            How good was that start!?!

Comment

Thanks sprinkles that was a great an informative write up. Im going to give them a try.

Comment

Hrd, would the driver be improving as well? In other words if you put say Nitto's on now, do you think you would be quicker than the Nankang's?
                Sprinkles, it was about a good a start as one could want.

Comment

Hey lightyear I have no doubt that you will almost be unbeatable once you sort out a few minor issues.
                  Lets face it your there now and I think you will be looking for some one to challenge you. Great effort.
                  Anyway in your opionion how much do you think you would of been faster using AO50s or Hankooks?

Comment

Hrd, would the driver be improving as well? In other words if you put say Nitto's on now, do you think you would be quicker than the Nankang's?
                    This is an insightful question, and you are not the first to ask it.

In my case, where I don't get a lot of seat time, and am trying to dust off 25 year old skills, it's plausible.

In Junior's case, less so. He's super consistent with his times, I can pull the passenger seat and harness out of the car and guarantee he will be 2 tenths faster around WP. So to see a massive step change in his times, over one second, it's down to the tyres. So the question is, had the 2 year old Nittos gone off that badly? We wouldn't know for sure unless we fitted a new set of Nittos now and put down some times.

Everything I've read about the Nittos says they don't cycle out until the canvas is showing through. So without doing a back to back test of new Nittos and Nankangs, my gut feel is that the Nankangs are faster in cool/cold conditions than the Nittos on a light car such as ours, in spite of the extra weight.

Comment

I will try and get some A050's before the next race if I can. If not, I will have them for the one after. Then will let you guys know the difference.
                      All tyres would get slower with age I would think. Yes, Nitto's work until canvas, but if they are old, they are old. I once went from Kumho to Nitto R specs and dropped a full 2 seconds. But that's from 2 year old Kumho's to new Nitto's. I would like to try the Nankang's on an MX5. I have a set of (1.5 year old) A050's on another set of MX5 rims, so can do a bit of a comparison.

Comment

Been doing this for nearly 20yrs. If anything my driving peaked a few years ago I reckon.
                        There is no way on earth Nittos would be faster if I put them on now. They're simply not in the same league. A full second is a massive difference. I had heaps of goes at trying to get the Nittos to break into the 60sec mark, which was the goal for the car for years. That time was as fast as i was ever going to be able to go on them.

Comment

I have a set of these sitting in the garage but they don't quite clear my guards compared the Avon FF tyres I'm using. They're considerably taller. Will have wait until I can massage gaurds to make them fit properly.

Comment

Damn you Sprinkles!
                            I couldn't resist a pair of these too, but at half the price of A050s, cant really go wrong.

Will be testing them directly against a pair of soft A050's (2nd hand though) I have on the other rims at NSW CAMS Supersprints in September.
                            Attached Files
                            BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                              Damn you Sprinkles!
                              I couldn't resist a pair of these too, but at half the price of A050s, cant really go wrong.

Will be testing them directly against a pair of soft A050's (2nd hand though) I have on the other rims at NSW CAMS Supersprints in September.
                              Will be interested in the outcome of this test, given that the A050 is the current IPRA control tyre.

Comment

Guess you get what you pay for......
                                I tested a pair of these Nankangs on the back at Wakefield and the car slid all over the place.

In my opinion they are not close to A050 performance.
                                I would compare them more to R888 or NT01.
                                They are very wide for their indicated size and run a square shoulder.
                                The 295 A050 had stretch on the 10.5" rim. The 295 Nankang AR1 filled the 10.5" rim out completely.
                                The Nankang held on very well under power in a straight line and came up to temp very quickly but mid corner grip wasn't there for me.
                                The Rear Nankangs also wanted to overtake the fronts if any braking was done with any steering input too.

It's not a completely fair test as I was without rear wing today and the car was also 10mm higher at the back which is not ideal, but as a direct comparison between A050 and AR1?
                                There is no comparison.

Had Soft A050 on the front which never let go, until I hit a ripple strip and they exploded ending the day for me.
                                (I am suspecting a dodgey wheel alignment with excess toe out. (Will need to get this checked) Was also running more neg camber at the front than I have before)
                                Attached Files
                                BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Working...
                                X