Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nankang AR-1 R Spec tyre review

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by hrd View Post
    For me the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres. Despite being 'soft' compound, the Hankooks needed a couple of corners to start working, and even then weren't quite on the pace of the Nankangs. That was 265 Nankang vs 235 Hankook - so again it's the characteristics of the tyre that are most important, not the width. But if you staying with Z221s, then yes the narrower tyre should heat up faster. Best sector times on each:
    Z221 22.60 14.21 11.91
    AR-1 21.72 14.05 11.75

    Personally, I'd still go as wide as you can with the Nankangs - they work well from stone cold. I haven't used a tyre that works better in the first corner at Mt Cotton. All other semis I've used other than the 40 treadwear RA1s (so A050M, Z221, NT01, FZ201, R888, RE55, A032R and probably a couple I'm forgetting) understeer alot in T1 at Mt Cotton, but the Nankangs just grip and turn, both on the Soarer and the FWD Levin.
    Agree that the Nankangs will have better cold start grip like the turn 1 hillclimb you mentioned, and I mentioned this in previous posts. However, completely disagree that this required Hill Climb performance is a similar situation to the supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap). A050's will provide better supersprint lap times than AR1; fact.
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.





    Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

    Comment


      #47
      Nankang ar1 in 265/35/18 = $205, Yokohama A050 265/35/18 $500

      For a $200 tyre, they seem to punch above their belt big time. No one could seriously expect them to be as good as an A050. The fact that they are going as good as or better than 888 and nt01 makes them a winner in their price bracket for sure. Im still going to grab a set and if i go within a second of what ive done on A050, i'll be over the moon.

      From most of the above comments, they seem to be doing quite well but it sounds like they're not very confidence inspiring. Well, you cant have your cake and eat it. Budget tyre is budget, lol.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by THE CHIEF View Post
        Nankang ar1 in 265/35/18 = $205, Yokohama A050 265/35/18 $500

        For a $200 tyre, they seem to punch above their belt big time. No one could seriously expect them to be as good as an A050. The fact that they are going as good as or better than 888 and nt01 makes them a winner in their price bracket for sure. Im still going to grab a set and if i go within a second of what ive done on A050, i'll be over the moon.

        From most of the above comments, they seem to be doing quite well but it sounds like they're not very confidence inspiring. Well, you cant have your cake and eat it. Budget tyre is budget, lol.
        True, and well said.
        Great bang for buck.
        i'll be keeping them as Hillclimb tyres as this where they seem to excel.
        BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.





        Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
          Agree that the Nankangs will have better cold start grip like the turn 1 hillclimb you mentioned, and I mentioned this in previous posts. However, completely disagree that this required Hill Climb performance is a similar situation to the supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap). A050's will provide better supersprint lap times than AR1; fact.
          You need to learn to read. "STREET SPRINTS" like neil_se does, who I was clearly replying to. Clearly described how hillclimbs are similar to them in my previous post as well - "street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres."
          How you come to the idea I was talking about "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is beyond me.

          I understand you feel the need to disagree with me at every opportunity, but really - calm down and read what you're arguing with first...

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by hrd View Post
            You need to learn to read. "STREET SPRINTS" like neil_se does, who I was clearly replying to. Clearly described how hillclimbs are similar to them in my previous post as well - "street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres."
            How you come to the idea I was talking about "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is beyond me.

            I understand you feel the need to disagree with me at every opportunity, but really - calm down and read what you're arguing with first...
            All good. Always calm dude. My misinterpretation of "sprints" in this instance, even when supersprints was mentioned in the same sentence. It happens.
            BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.





            Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

            Comment


              #51
              misinterpretation of "the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres",for "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is pretty retarded if that was a calm response like you say. Those are the only two options I can see - either you are so keen to argue you're not actually reading what you're arguing with, or you're a blithering idiot.

              The fact you claim to know what the Nankangs are like after using them on the car with so many changes:
              1) without usual wing
              2) higher rear ride height
              3) mixed front and rear tyres
              4) more front camber than before
              5) "dodgy wheel alignment"
              6) rear flares - so something else has obviously changed in the rear too

              has me leaning towards the latter option.

              Comment


                #52
                Expecting them to be as good as A050s is also pretty stupid, particularly for someone who bought them after reading the information here. Even someone buying them 16 months ago before anyone else had used them, wouldn't have hoped they'd match A050s. It's not a realistic expectation, and nor is it a valid criticism. Everyone already knew they weren't A050s. Everyone except for you apparently.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by hrd View Post
                  misinterpretation of "the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres",for "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is pretty retarded if that was a calm response like you say. Those are the only two options I can see - either you are so keen to argue you're not actually reading what you're arguing with, or you're a blithering idiot.

                  The fact you claim to know what the Nankangs are like after using them on the car with so many changes:
                  1) without usual wing
                  2) higher rear ride height
                  3) mixed front and rear tyres
                  4) more front camber than before
                  5) "dodgy wheel alignment"
                  6) rear flares - so something else has obviously changed in the rear too

                  has me leaning towards the latter option.
                  Clearly, it seems to be you that wants to argue.

                  I've explained my simple misinterpretation of what you were referring to as a Sprint. No more discussion required.

                  I have experimented with countless set up variations on my car over 8 years. Same car. Same track. Different tyres front/rear countless times. Have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and 25 years of circuit experience dating back to club level wins in Superbikes.

                  The break away characteristics were not as progressive as RS3, A050 or Z221. I am suspecting the square shoulder would cause this. Not something I liked.

                  Once again, their quick warm up characteristics are exceptional.

                  Your listed comments are repetitive.
                  Have already addressed this. Rear Break away was occurring in slow corners where the rear wing does nothing. The front always felt planted.


                  Have never claimed to be an expert on Nankangs, just reporting my experience with them. That being, don't expect them to be close to A050 performance in a Supersprint. Not going to repeat myself any further or argue with you any further.


                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
                  BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.





                  Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                    just reporting my experience with them. That being, don't expect them to be close to A050 performance in a Supersprint
                    Thanks for the remarkable insight. Depends what you mean by close though. Z221 are generally regarded to be pretty much on par with A050. Some would say better. I ran 0.38 off Z221 Soft pace at Lakeside on the Nankangs. I'd say that's close for a tyre that cost 1/3rd the price of the Yokohamas.
                    I didn't find their breakaway to be unpredictable, but then I'm no mechanical engineer who took his wing off, increased rear ride height, ran more front camber, with a bad wheel alignment, mixed front and rear tyres and added rear flares all at the same time. It must take a hell of a mechanical engineer to be able to isolate the root cause of that unpredictable breakaway down to the Nankangs. I take my hat off to you.

                    Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                    Not going to repeat myself any further or argue with you any further.
                    One can only hope!

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by hrd View Post
                      Expecting them to be as good as A050s is also pretty stupid, particularly for someone who bought them after reading the information here. Even someone buying them 16 months ago before anyone else had used them, wouldn't have hoped they'd match A050s. It's not a realistic expectation, and nor is it a valid criticism. Everyone already knew they weren't A050s. Everyone except for you apparently.
                      Thank you for agreeing that the Nankang AR1 is not in the same league as a Yokohama A050.
                      This was the result of my test, and also requested by Sprinkles in post #29. Is he an idiot too?

                      No need to get personal.
                      BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.





                      Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

                      Comment


                        #56
                        I think he was expecting a sensible person to compare the times of a set of AR1s to a set A050s without wild setup differences, to see exactly how far away they are.
                        Just a hunch.

                        I doubt anyone cares about a test of a pair of A050 front and AR1 rears, even if there weren't half a dozen other major setup variations thrown in. All that does is tell people not to mix and match tyres. Which they all already knew anyway.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Make no mistake 101 if HRD is the ignorant prick I had the unfortuate meeting with at Oran Park a few years ago
                          he is a dead set fuckwit like you. But he is correct and unlike you I will acknowledge the fact.
                          Who and what are you stevil your like a annoying little BITCH. Is there any substance in your little world.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            At Oran Park all he did was tell me about how much faster he was with far less mods than all the other EVOs. Was a riveting conversation. I guess my lack of interest showed through...

                            Comment


                              #59
                              or maybe turdsurfer is still dirty that he got beaten at Wakefield in the wet by a stock Supra and a bloke who'd never been there before on just his 4th ever lap of the fucking place? lol

                              Pos Car Driver Entrant Vehicle Cap CL Laps Fastest...Lap Gap

                              1 10 Lyle Wilkinson Whippet Evo III 13 8 1:13.4270*
                              2 17 Marek Evo IX 18 6 1:13.5560 0:00.1290
                              3 56 Mark Boxsell GTpumps Evo 6 TME 18 13 1:13.7030 0:00.2760
                              4 15 Nathan-SpiritR SpiritR S6 RX7 Spirit R 9 8 1:14.7290 0:01.3020
                              5 42 David Ridley badhairdave S13 16 16 1:15.5950 0:02.1680
                              6 27 Paul Lazos plazos MY00 STI 12 10 1:15.9980 0:02.5710
                              7 18 Harry Doling Supra RZ 8 4 1:16.4850 0:03.0580
                              8 48 Gerard Manion 15 15 1:16.6010 0:03.1740
                              9 30 Hugo Fonseca Blue Evo IX 12 12 1:16.8580 0:03.4310
                              10 40 Andrew Camilleri camels R33 GTR DoLuck 13 10 1:17.0370 0:03.6100

                              Comment


                                #60
                                You are the prick that saw I was set up and at scrutineering and just parked your car in my set up and when I came back expecting me
                                just pack up all my gear and move on yeh I was going to do that fuckwit. You are worse than 101 and by the way and how many more
                                excusses hae you got why you highly modded supra is almost 9 sec slower at Oran Park GP than my evo. Fuck youre retarded.
                                By the way that was a S15 at wakefield there wera really 7 cars faster than me makes 6 cars faster than you. God youre pathetic.
                                Hang on you came back the following year and was even slower and you filled the dams with you tears and excusses fuck that was funny.
                                You really are hopeless no wonder no one can take you seriously.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X