Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning poly rod in lathe

I've got a set of rear toe arms for my Swift that have rose joints that are flogged out as they are cheap chinese pos. Because of said chingchong cheapness, it's impossible to get replacement parts or bushes in the right size so was thinking of getting some polyurethane rod and turning it down to make some bushes. Will it be possible to turn 95 duro in a lathe or will it turn into a shitfight mess?

yes it's possible, use razer sharp HSS tooling and run the lathe as fast as it will go. Helps when you can support the poly with a mandrel in the lathe. I've machined a fair bit of 80duro poly rod from superpro, from memory they have a machining guide on their site or catalogue too

Edit: https://superpro.com.au/knowledge-ba...g-polyurethane

Comment

Cheers. Great info in the link.

Comment

Polyurethane? I've turned engine mounts up but they were larger diameter at high speed. It's messy but works great.
        Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Yup, these in 80 or 90 duro.
          https://superpro.com.au/tradeview/in...&SDID=99000307
          Looking at the 38mm diameter as I need to turn it down to 36mm which gives me a 1mm lip on each end to stop them sliding and drill them out for some M12 crush tube.

I originally thought I'd have to take more meat out of them but just rechecked my measurements and it's only really a shave.

Comment

My previous job made poly parts for mining equipment. When measurements were wrong salemen (the I can't measure shit) would cut it down to size with a knife.

Did not effect the product at all. Also try calling into a a screen wear company in your area and ask if they have any offcuts that are roughly the size you want. They will give you a barrels worth as they are often disposed of.

Comment

If you need to put a 12mm crush tube up it, drill it for the 12mm first and stick some 12mm rod in it as a mandrel to help stabilise it while you machine it.
              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

We machine thousands of hydraulic cylinder seals from PU for all manner of applications on CNC up to 700mm diameter, If it all turns to shit give me a sketch and Iíll see what billet we have to accomodate this.
                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                  If you need to put a 12mm crush tube up it, drill it for the 12mm first and stick some 12mm rod in it as a mandrel to help stabilise it while you machine it.
                  I thought about that to avoid flex. Just going to get a couple pu rods and crushtubes and then have a go on a mates lathe. Wont matter if it takes a few goes to get it right.
                  Thanks for the offer Mr Rust and a possible cheap source mizone.

Comment

Working...
                  X