Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil overs for daily?

So the shocks in the E87 have had it, from what little google fu I have done I'm in for new shocks and 'best practice' to do bump stops, and spring seat seals etc at the same time. Prices are getting up there a little and getting close to a set of BC Racing coil overs to suit. I've never played with suspension anything more than replacing the OE suspension with new Koni Springs and Shocks on my NB MX5 around 8 years ago. So the question is: Are these coils going to meet at least the same performance as the OE spring/shock combo. Understanding they are 'adjustable' so I might/should be able to retain ride comfort. And the boy racer in me that never got to play wants to lower the car for lols. Coils seem to give me the option to 'undo' this for free. Also, if they are the go, has anyone good a hookup on a cheap retailer?
    I spent more money above the roof racks than below, help?

If it's a daily, just throw a set of Bilstein B6s in there and be done. M sport/130i? Use B8s. No height adjustment on these.
    I don't think you'd get ride comfort with BC Racing coils even at the softest setting. They'd be more suited to track especially with pillow ball top mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by gmx View Post
      If it's a daily, just throw a set of Bilstein B6s in there and be done. M sport/130i? Use B8s. No height adjustment on these.
      I don't think you'd get ride comfort with BC Racing coils even at the softest setting. They'd be more suited to track especially with pillow ball top mounts.
      Nothing so exotic. Just a 118. I dream of the M Sport. I'll have to do some research on retailers because Mr. Google isn't coming up with much for Bilstein in Australia at present but I appreciate the input. I doubt this will ever make it to the track. Not in any serious capacity anyway.
      I spent more money above the roof racks than below, help?

Comment

dewy what did you end up doing?

I've not been in a coil over street car that hasn't been painful to drive (low profile tyres and stiff coils with hard damper settings) so am wondering how they turned out on a daily.

Comment

I have had coil overs in all my daily cars with no issue's. but then i have been in S13's with coilovers and felt the need for a kidney belt or something. i would recommend getting decent quality ones made for the car and not generic ones made to suit 10 different vehicles and the spring is made to do the work.
          CISCOKIDS
          The Gentlemen's Club
          Midnight Rocker

Comment

As a comparable test, on nearly identical cars - my experience for road cars had led me to the following conclusion:

E1 - coilovers (BCs) on 205/50/15
            E3 - GAB springs/shocks running 205/40/17s.

The car with bigger wheels/smaller profile tyres, but running on good shocks/springs, rides much better than the other on BCs with higher profile tyres.

Might be a different story if you spent more, but my budget (~1200) meant either BCs or shocks/springs combination.
            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Gents, thanks kindly for your feedback.

The plan is Aldan coilover kit on the Mustang with some Global West camber/strut rods.

+

Comment

Buy them from clickable automotive.

I put a set of replacement bilsteins, including bump stops and eibach (pro kit) springs in my E90 for about $1100. Sports (B8) are usually about $500 a pair for the fronts and around $300 a pair for the rears. B4/B6 standard replacement bilsteins might be even cheaper. If its not on their website (or not in stock), call them.

https://clickableautomotive.com.au
                Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Working...
                X