Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed

Got hold of a 2nd hand but unused brake conversion kit for my mk2 Cortina but have run into a problem with fitment
    The disc is touching the the LCA, Im amusing this wouldn't be an issue if I were using the oem LCA/balljoint arrangement

Its not touching by much but touching none the less, Im thinking about spacing out the hub (about 3mm) by either a spacer between the rear bearing and the stub or between the bearing cup and hub then having the fron bearing cup machined deeper into the hub!
    Can anyone see any problems with this, and if so whats another way to skin this ?
    List of cars goes here

bit more neg camber ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

what does the hub/disk assembly look like?

Comment

Could you shave the face of the LCA?

Keep in mind the clearance may change between full bump and full droop.

Comment

Start by pulling the caplier off and stacking some spacers between the hub face and the hat. Move it through the full range of motion, lock to lock and full bump to full droop. It may be easier to do this with the spring removed. If that looks OK, pack the caliper out with some washers and reassemble to make sure everything clears. Obviously don't drive it with the temporary spacers in place.

Make sure you have enough thread engagement on the wheel nuts. Then get proper spacers made up for the rotor and caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
            Start by pulling the caplier off and stacking some spacers between the hub face and the hat. Move it through the full range of motion, lock to lock and full bump to full droop. It may be easier to do this with the spring removed. If that looks OK, pack the caliper out with some washers and reassemble to make sure everything clears.
            Cheers
            Yeah have already been through those steps when the problem presented itself, just unsure on the best solution

I did consider a spacer between hub and rotor but it will move the rotor off the center
            List of cars goes here

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
              Could you shave the face of the LCA?

Keep in mind the clearance may change between full bump and full droop.
              Its at its worst at full droop and just clears at ride height
              I think if i were to remove material from the lca to gain enough clearance i may run the risk of exposing the bearing
              List of cars goes here

Comment

Originally posted by Gassed250 View Post
                Cheers

I did consider a spacer between hub and rotor but it will move the rotor off the center
                If it's only a few mm it shouldn't be a problem. It's not unusual for custom brake/rotor setups to have a different centreline to stock.

Comment

If it's only a few mm it shouldn't be a problem. It's not unusual for custom brake/rotor setups to have a different centreline to stock.
                  Sorry i should have been clearer
                  What i mean by "off the center" is the center bore of the disc will no longer sit on the hub

Spacing the disc off the hub would definitely be the easiest option
                  List of cars goes here

Comment

What i mean by "off the center" is the center bore of the disc will no longer sit on the hub. Spacing the disc off the hub would definitely be the easiest option
                    You could bore out the centre of the disk, and make a spacer with a register on it to locate on the hub and into the new bore of the disk. You could even have another step on the spacer to locate the wheel.
                    Originally posted by Marlin
                    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Sorry i should have been clearer
                      What i mean by "off the center" is the center bore of the disc will no longer sit on the hub

Spacing the disc off the hub would definitely be the easiest option
                      Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post
                      You could bore out the centre of the disk, and make a spacer with a register on it to locate on the hub and into the new bore of the disk. You could even have another step on the spacer to locate the wheel.
                      Or you could just not worry about perfectly centring the rotor and rely on the studs. Has worked for me in the past on various race cars without issue.

Comment

Or you could just not worry about perfectly centring the rotor and rely on the studs. Has worked for me in the past on various race cars without issue.
                        Had another look, the disc still locates on the hub with 3mm spacers so its looking good

Question is how much disc to lca clearance do I need ?
                        List of cars goes here

Comment

Question is how much disc to lca clearance do I need ?
                          It will get bigger over time..

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
                            It will get bigger over time..
                            Ha ha ha!

But to answer the question Gassed, I would think you would want a few mm if putting it on the track, things tend to flex more than you would believe when fully loaded up. If it's a road car, not so much clearance, but if the LCA touches the rotor occasionally, no biggie, refer to 36's comment above.

Comment

I ended up spacing the entire hub out by 4mm as the bearing seal was sitting back too far
                              List of cars goes here

Comment

Working...
                              X