Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk7 GTi tyres

My internet searching has not yielded a straight answer on this one.

I'm looking to replace the 225/40r18 Dunlop Sport Maxx on our Mk7 VW Golf GTi. It has the stock VW GTi Austin wheels. Some say these are 18 x 7.5", others say they are actually a little closer 18 x 8"? With this in mind can they run 235/40r18" tyres? I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 from my Monaro in this 235/40 size which have only done around 2000 kms and I would like to move these to the GTi instead and get something better for the Monaro. Does anyone know for sure if this is safe and legal on these wheels?

Thanks

235/40-18 225/40-18 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 25.4 (645.2) 25.09 (637.2) -0.31 (-8) -1.2%
    Width inches (mm) 9.25 (235) 8.86 (225) -0.39 (-10) -4.3%
    Circum. inches (mm) 79.8 (2026.96) 78.81 (2001.82) -0.99 (-25.13) -1.2%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.7 (94) 3.54 (90) -0.16 (-4) -4.3%
    Revolutions per mile (km) 793.97 (493.35) 803.94 (499.54) 9.97 (6.19) 1.3%

basically no difference in real world terms.
    Originally posted by Marv
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Mk7 GTi tyres

Originally posted by HSV Senator View Post
      My internet searching has not yielded a straight answer on this one.

I'm looking to replace the 225/40r18 Dunlop Sport Maxx on our Mk7 VW Golf GTi. It has the stock VW GTi Austin wheels. Some say these are 18 x 7.5", others say they are actually a little closer 18 x 8"? With this in mind can they run 235/40r18" tyres? I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 from my Monaro in this 235/40 size which have only done around 2000 kms and I would like to move these to the GTi instead and get something better for the Monaro. Does anyone know for sure if this is safe and legal on these wheels?

Thanks

As per M135i thread, I went from a 225/40/18 to a 235/40/18 Michelin PS4 on a 18x7.5 rim. No dramas.

Comment

Thanks guys, I initially didn't think there would be much in it but then people on the VW sites were saying 235s didn't even fit on the MK7 GTi with factory wheels. Mostly I was concerned with the legalities in NSW of running that size tyre on a 7.5" wheel.

Comment

Bit of a Google found this thread on a US forum, 235s look fine on the Austin's.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

Good find, even in that thread where someone has made the change there's so much concern over such a simple change! It does raise my concern about the legalities since it states that Michelin themselves don't recommend these size tyres on a 7.5" rim but obviously can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by HSV Senator View Post
              Good find, even in that thread where someone has made the change there's so much concern over such a simple change! It does raise my concern about the legalities since it states that Michelin themselves don't recommend these size tyres on a 7.5" rim but obviously can be done.
              Some of the crap people worry about on VW specific forums is crazy, that thread is pretty mild!

Comment

"i must have a mann and hummel made filter for my gti"

"theyre now made by contitech"

"but thats not original fitment?!?!?!?!"

parts guy spends 30 mins opening all the boxes to find a mann and hummel one.

customer calls vw and slams us over it.
                Originally posted by Marv
                Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

wow your parts guy is a saint

Oo___oO

Comment

Thanks again guys. I agree guys, reading the VW forums its hard to know if something is actually an issue or not, a bit OTT sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X