Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSR wheel restore

My RX7 has a set of white SSR type D wheels. They have some rust in them, not being much if a wheel guy I have no idea if these are worth saving? They look cool and go with the look of the car I am going for.

Ditch them and buy a new set or restore?

Here is some pics of the rust.

This is them on an rx7.

is it actually rust or moisture under the paint? could be worth a quick easy blast back and a powdercoat?
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

One piece wheels? Surely they’re aluminium

Comment

They're alloy and that will sand off I would think. There may be some pitting underneath. Unless you love them I'd get something else on a car with a sexy shape like that there's heaps of (less gay :-) )options.

Comment

it's corrosion of the alloy, get them sandblasted and powdercoated, good as new

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
            it's corrosion of the alloy, get them sandblasted and powdercoated, good as new
            Sounds like it might be the go.

Comment

Unless you really love these wheels, I'd just chuck them on gumtree and spend the money on something else you really like.
              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

This is a good opportunity to make them any colour other than white
                Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

Comment

Originally posted by too_much_boost View Post
                  This is a good opportunity to make them any colour other than white
                  That thought had crossed my mind, what else would look good with red? Black?

Comment

gunmetal.

paint stripper, wire wheel them yourself, maybe $400 to powder coat them?
                    good as new.
                    www.markpakula.com
                    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post

That thought had crossed my mind, what else would look good with red? Black?
                      Bronze!

Comment

Gunmetal and bronze. I'll do some looking into how they work together.

I also have some flexibility on the red. I don't have paint job money at the moment so I'll get the car smooth myself then have it wrapped.

Comment

Working...
                        X