DIY toe alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY toe alignment

Being a tight arse, I tried venturing into doing my own toe alignment on all 4 wheels. The car originally tracked straight but after a trip out in the country side and a bit of corrugation, the steering ended up tracking left when the steering wheel was in dead straight position.

Having done the measurements, I’ve put both front wheels around 0.1 degrees toe in (originally it was FL 0.25 FR 0.37 degrees), RL was 0.25 degrees toe in, RR was close to dead straight. The car now is kinda straight but in some instances (crown of road) still tracks a bit left. Btw, I setup the strings to do the alignment 4 times and came up with consisten measurements.

What I suspect is that the thrust angles is causing the alight left tracking however if the RL is toe in and RR dead straight, why would appear the thrust angle be slightly left? Or have I got it totally wrong?

Get some red electrical tape and draw a thin black line on a small piece. Do two of them. Put them on the tyre at the front, get a helper to measure the distance, roll the car forward and re measure.

the distance in mm will tell you toe in if negative or out if positive
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I do my own alignments with strings too. It takes a bit of careful setup to ensure the strings are parallel with the centre line of the car.
      I use 2 pieces of aluminum angle with identically spaces holes drilled in each, one at each end of the car. The string passes through the holes and is held taut by a weight hanging at one end.
      If you aren't careful it would be easy to setup a trapezoid or parallelogram string setup.

Comment

The roads do fall off to the gutters, is it normal to track off to one side?
        3D scanning
        3D modelling
        Structural certification
        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
          The roads do fall off to the gutters, is it normal to track off to one side?
          Yes and no, yes it is normal for the car to want to track a bit left with road camber, the proper way to correct for that is with caster.
          Radical SR3
          HSV R8
          BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Comment

Working...
          X