No announcement yet.

Motul RBF600 Substitute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found it easy to rationalise spending 100 bucks for the most critical piece of safety equipment on a fast/heavy car once every 18 months.

Oo___oO

Comment

Yep, it isn't cheap. IMHO you don't need to get too carried away with getting the most expensive, high temp fluid.

I use AP Racing Dot 5.1 because I'm a cheap bastard and I don't see large brake temps - but I reckon Brembo LCF600 is not bad value if you need a higher temp fluid.
      I change it every 12 months to keep it fresh.

AP Racing suggests that calipers that see temperatures up to 200 degrees Celsius, should have the seals replaced every other race.
      For calipers that see 200 to 220 degrees intermittently, reseal every race. AP Racing Catalogue

So for me, that suggests the actual caliper temps may be lower than one may think - hard to know unless you measure.
      If you are seeing 200 plus degrees caliper temps, then the seals in your calipers are not going to be happy - whatever brake fluid you use.

We sell several different fluids, from track day guys to professional race teams. Most popular are AP Racing R2 & R3, then PFC RH665, AP Racing Dot 5.1, Endless RF650 and then various Brembo.

cheers
      Gaz
      Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
      www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Another vote for SRF- works ace and is long lasting. I've also used the Penrite stuff too, albeit in not quite as severe conditions as I've used SRF. In my observation SRF/Penrite is more readily available at the trackside vendors than Motul.

Our good friends at Automotive Superstore sell both.

Comment

I didn't realise the SRF came in 1 litre bottles, that pricing isn't so bad really. Might change up.
          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Yeah at $100-$120 for 1L vs most other brake fluids priced at $30-$60 for 500mL it doesnt look that bad anymore. Dunno if it's always been priced that way, I could swear previously it used to be 3-4x the price of most other stuff.

I mostly use the penrite but my brakes get a fucking thrashing trying to stop a 300rwkw 1100kg car running only 15" wheels (and therefore small brakes), and the fluid is fucked after a day at the track and needs bleeding absolutely every time, so if this lasts something like a years worth of trackdays without the pedal going to shit, it would 100% be worth it for me.

Time to buy a bottle of SRF haha
            Last edited by trdee; 18-11-21, 10:22 AM.
            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
              Yeah at $100-$120 for 1L vs most other brake fluids priced at $30-$60 for 500mL it doesnt look that bad anymore. Dunno if it's always been priced that way, I could swear previously it used to be 3-4x the price of most other stuff.

I mostly use the penrite but my brakes get a fucking thrashing trying to stop a 300rwkw 1100kg car running only 15" wheels (and therefore small brakes), and the fluid is fucked after a day at the track and needs bleeding absolutely every time, so if this lasts something like a years worth of trackdays without the pedal going to shit, it would 100% be worth it for me.

Time to buy a bottle of SRF haha
              I've used SRF in 1000kg and 1200kg cars with standard calipers and similar sized wheels - you will easily get a years worth of track days out of a bottle of SRF.

Comment

sparesbox has SRF for $109 delivered with black friday if anyone is chasing it

Oo___oO

Comment

thank you sir
                  1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                  X