Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Brake kits

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake kits

Brake kits would have to be the most talked about topic in this Brake Clinic.
    I'd like to make this thread dedicated to retail brake kit specs and images for others to reference. There is some good affordable products coming out lately and it would be good to have a single thread to view them.
    That's retail kits please!

We (DBA) are often involved in development of the retail kits but they are not sold by DBA.

Also if there is a moderator who can make this a sticky it would be good...... :D
    I had my mod rights taken away...........
    Regards
    Steve

Give me a brake......

Nissan 200SX, Silvia, Skyline, 300ZX kit soon to be released.

DBA 324mm disc - one or two piece (with or without bling bling effect "holes")

AP 4 piston caliper - Very similar to Nissan caliper.
    Piston size = 38.1mm x 2 + 41.3mm x 2 - weight 2.8kg with pads.

Brackets and S/Steel lines

Agent = Comp friction (ACT) and their distributors.
    Regards
    Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

interesting idea...might explore this with a motorsport focus
      I don't care a damn for your loyalty when you think I am right; when I really want it most is when you think I am wrong.
      Sir John Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
        interesting idea...might explore this with a motorsport focus
        This was put on an Excedy drift/show car in the USA. Normally you would run a slotted disc.
        Regards
        Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

now stuck..

RIP Todd Wilkes 25.02.02

Car Audio,Car Security,Audiovisual
          Where else?
          Audio Express -Brisbane
          Contact Us

Comment

why do you need big brakes on a drift car...its all low speed stuff and short duration?
            BTW how true is the report I have re slotted disc's and an increase in pad wear of up to 20% for a 5% increase in perf?
            I don't care a damn for your loyalty when you think I am right; when I really want it most is when you think I am wrong.
            Sir John Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
              why do you need big brakes on a drift car...its all low speed stuff and short duration?
              BTW how true is the report I have re slotted disc's and an increase in pad wear of up to 20% for a 5% increase in perf?
              Have you heard the term "Bling Bling" The brake kit on that car is just for show which appeals to the USA market. The kit itself (with a slotted rotor) has far greater potential.

I would like to see this report. Can I get a copy or can you give me the author's name?

Thanks for the sticky Chris...
              Regards
              Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

steve,

can you find something to fit on the front of a combo van (SB barina)

there are kits in europe that put a 288 x24 mm rotor on the fronts and use vectra V6 brakes. just need the rotor (4x100 is the pcd.) or if I can get a 308 x24 under it?

(16" wheel and I cant change them.)

RIP Todd Wilkes 25.02.02

Car Audio,Car Security,Audiovisual
                Where else?
                Audio Express -Brisbane
                Contact Us

Comment

DBA 825 is the Vectra front disc you mentioned but we don't have any un-drilled.
                  DBA 2500 is coming up for production which could be made un-drilled. It's 300 x 25mm
                  Or I am working on the ST170 Ford Focus 300mm x 24mm which looks to be close to what you want.

DBA 5000 flat disc only would suit if you need to make a hat for a custom rotor offset/fitting.

Depends on your time frame I suppose.

Vectra (Opal) caliper takes a 25mm thick rotor.
                  Regards
                  Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

http://www.hoppers.com.au

TORANA’S – LC to UC and HR stubs

Included in Kit:

* Pair 290 mm Disc Rotors and Twin Piston Calipers
                    * Set Semi – Metallic Brake Pads
                    * Caliper mount kit with Bolts
                    * Pair Conversion hubs made from K1045 Billet steel fitted with bearing
                    cups and Genuine Holden wheel studs
                    * Pair custom Brake Hoses and copper washers
                    * Full Fitting Instructions

Priced from $1100 Smooth, $1200 Slotted, $1250 Drilled and Slotted.
                    Some further I've found out about this kit (specifically the HR based kit):

* Uses AU2 calipers(PBR) and rotors(DBA).
                    * Bolts to a HR disc brake stub axle using an adaptor plate, two spacers (ie one per caliper bolt) then fit between the caliper and the adaptor to locate it in the correct position.
                    * Increases wheel track by 10mm
                    * Kit can be set up for any stud pattern, the rotors are purchased as blanks and drilled to suit.
                    * Hoppers have had a Vic engineer write a report on the kit.

dbasteve, I'm interested in whether you know of any other quality brake kits to suit HR front ends? At the moment, Hoppers seem to be the only place that give me confidence.
                    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

EH Holden RB20 Build

Comment

Nah!
                      I don't know of anyone I would recommend. There aren't many people making good kits for old Holdens.
                      Regards
                      Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

edit - oops, sorry, didn't see where you had "retail kits only"
                        my bad...

Comment

dbasteve, are you able to give me any comments on what the AU2 brakes are like in general?

I really know nothing about them, i'm assuming they are a twin piston design?

EH Holden RB20 Build

Comment

Originally posted by browny
                            dbasteve, are you able to give me any comments on what the AU2 brakes are like in general?

I really know nothing about them, i'm assuming they are a twin piston design?
                            AU 2 & 3 rotors are much better than AU1 due to the increased thickness but are still quite average for such a heavy vehicle. Hoppers use them a lot for upgrades on lighter cars which perform well.

The caliper is a PBR twin piston sliding unit. I haven't had a lot of feedback on these which usually means they are O.K.
                            Please note - It is very important to check that your current master cylinder can handle these calipers. I have heard of a few kits having a shocking low pedal because of a master cylinder that is too small.
                            Regards
                            Steve

Give me a brake......

Comment

The setup they currently seem to be suggesting is an XA/B master with a Gemini booster.

EH Holden RB20 Build

Comment

Working...
                              X